Well hi welcome to my little blog. Just my little corner of craftiness, sewing, and refashioning. I am also a newly gluten free eater so you have a little bit of recipes mixed in here.

Monday, August 12, 2013

Iron Craft- Way back in time machine: Part 1 of Restoring Vintage linens

After contemplating what I was going to do for the Iron Craft- way back when machine. So something vintage. My time is limited so sewing a vintage dress (which I wanted to really bad just life has a way of getting in the way of things!). So I decided to use this opportunity to begin one of my projects where I restored my grandmother's antique linens.

If you don't know both sides of my family are off the boat. We don't have much heirlooms or antiques. We all mostly just had stuff to live. Nothing fancy. What I do have left is my grandmother's linens. She had table runners, table cloths, napkins, doilies, and these lace things.

The problem is many of my items have stains and are yellowed. Many of the antique linens yellow. Here it is up next to a white piece of paper. It is pretty yellow And we had parts which were almost brown on the edge.

After doing some research last year I found that my best option was using restoration. Which is meant for antique linens. I didn't want to take my chances so I opted for this option. The best buying option is thru Amazon, btw....

Basically the procedure is as follows... pre-soak for 20 mins. and wow.... the water was dirty!!!


Already looking better but you can still see the yellow. no worries on to the next step
Next set up another bath, warm water (2 gallons) and 6 scoops of the restoration. Now Let it sit for 6-8 hours. Yes really!! I occasionally agitated it with my hands every so often. Then I rinsed it with water several times. I got out the excess water by putting it in between a towel. And then I hung them up to dry. Wow they look great!


They look amazing. I could not get myself to craft them into something else. They turned out too pretty and restored. I have a few more of my projects I am going to work on restoring to their beauty. It works! Now to restore more of them! Yay! I will totally get to this New Years Resolution. I just may need more restoration powder.

xoxoxo,
Lauren

1 comment:

Just Crafty Enough said...

Wow, that really did the trick, they look like new.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...