Well hi welcome to my little blog. Just my little corner of craftiness, sewing, and refashioning. I am also a newly gluten free eater so you have a little bit of recipes mixed in here.

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Red polka dot dress

Sometimes when I am thrift store shopping I find something I absolutely love that is in my size but then I feel like it just needs something. That is the feeling i experienced when I saw this red polka dot dress. I wished it had some detail to it and it was just a smidge longer.


I looked in my ribbon stash and found this ruffle already made in white that I thought could help with the length. I also found some white rick-rack that maybe could be used for detail for this dress.


I started first with the white satin ruffle. I put 2 together and pinned to the dress. The dress is actually a dress with an addtional front layer to give it a multi-layered effect. I decided I wanted to put it on both layers. I had to hand sew it down b/c the satin and stretch knit together was a dangerous combo and led to the ruffle curling... the knit stretched while it sewed hence why it started to roll. Out can the seam ripper and I attached it by hand, which really it did not take long.

Next I thought I would try adding the rick-rack to the neckline of the dress. But I only wanted to use half of it and not show the entire rick-rack. Thus I would have a scalloped edge. I also attempted to do this with the sewing machine and failed. Instead of trying to figure it out, I did it by hand again.

Next I realized that the top layer move some and tacked it down to the actual dress. Just only that top part. Then the ruffles moved less and looked better on. I made a little white sash to give myself a waist.

Here is the end product, the dress sits longer on me which I am happy about. I love the scalloped trim on the bodice, which is just rick-rack. Note to self use more rick-rack as a trim for outfits. I do have to wear a tank top underneath, still deciding what color I like best.


XOXOXO,
Lauren

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely adorable dress! You did a great job. I follow many refashion blogs and this dress is one of the best re-dos I've seen.

Lisa Nelsen-Woods said...

The ruffle adds a nice design punch. Personally I like the berry colored tank underneath because white would be too predictable.

Kaysi @ Keeping it Simple said...

I love what you did to it!!!

La La Lauren!!! said...

thank you! yes white would be too predictable and the rick rack trim would blend in to the tank. To me the dress now has a bit of a retro vibe to it, which I love!

Adele said...

i love love this dress, its lush!
-Ellie
http://mammymade.blogspot.com

Malory {Snips & Spice} said...

Super Cute! I love the new embellishments!

Eddie's Room said...

Loving the polka dots :-)
Thank you for sharing this dress with the dress refashion round-up on Refashion Co-op :-)
I would be ever so grateful if you would help me build an awesome resource for dress refashions by sharing your favourite tutorials here: http://www.roued.com/the-best-dress-refashion-tutorials.

xx Eddie

Eddie's Room on Facebook come over for some crafty ideas and conversation. :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...