Well hi welcome to my little blog. Just my little corner of craftiness, sewing, and refashioning. I am also a newly gluten free eater so you have a little bit of recipes mixed in here.

Friday, February 19, 2010

Evolution of a hip belt...

The Evolution of a Hip Belt

Well Its a semi-journey here... I took pictures between some of the intermediate but this is by no means a tutorial.

This all started with my purchase of a silver bra with the matching skirt from ebay. It was very inexpensive but it did not come with a hip belt. The picture was deceiving. But that is beyond the point.

I decided to set out and design and make a hip belt to complement my new shiny bra. I knew from the get-go that I would be unable to exactly match it. And even when I tried I learned I could not get the trim that matched it (it came some where from China and impossible to find in Alabama). I decided to make my own using 8mm cupped silver sequins and gluing rhinestones to each one in the same pattern as the bra.

So I started one night and using a belt I got at an outlet store, which makes a great template, I traced out a simple hip belt on white felt. I then attached a white satin (crepe satin maybe? i forget!) that sort of had the same feel as the white straps. I stitched them together with my sewing machine. Since i was adding trim on top of my belt, no one was goign to see my line.

Here's me adding the first sequins with my middle circle I am making to match the circle on the bra. It was still being glue at the time (it was a wrapped wooden circle bead with white ribbon). I started to add the stones to them, to get a little idea (plus its easy!) Now onward to blinging...



Next I made appliques that semi matched the design on the bra. This was harder than i thought. And i never did this before! But i made a total of 6 in the 3 different sizes and added them to the belt. I anchored it by using some 11/0 seed beeds (~3) and tiny silver sequins (3mm i think, cupped). Here is the larger view for both sides. :)


Well we are still pretty bare and need some filler sequins. I wanted to play a bit with texture so you could distinguish the different types of sequins. I used a 5 mm flat silver sequin and 5 seed beds and i started on the bottom left and worked my way to the edge....

Nice!

Here is a better view

And yet another view.. (Can you tell I was happy to figure this out!)

Next I worked on the botoom left and began to fill in. Here is the picture of what it looked like in addition to adding the circle. I could not complete the next step until the circle was added. So i just glued it on! Seriously!

Next I filled in both the top areas and the areas on the bottom next to the circle. I then added the hologram sequins in the middle of the circle. Hint if you are using no beads, use invisible thread so you don't see the thread! makes a whole big difference.

Wow I was starstruck and here is the whole belt done! and with the bra!

Another view looking at the edge.

Well I still needed some fringe! I mean come on I AM A BELLYDANCER! This I had to make myself. From past experiences with belts I know its best to sew each one individual so you don't loose everythign should one of them break. In the middle of the belt below the circle i added a string of silver seed beads with a hologram oval and some pearlescent beads. each one indiviually done!

Need more fringe! I cam up with a simple idea (mostly b/c i was running out of time!) I marked with a disappearing ink marker every 2 inches on the belt. Then I beaded 3 inches of seed beads and made a loop and continued a long on the belt. Both sides. At each loop then I added another single strand of beads just like in the middle.


A farther out view.....


Then I was done. Not too shabby for my first time! Here is it on me for an event (sorry the picture did something weird to our skin). And somehow after i added my hooks the fringe actually lines up. its crazy and i will never be able to do that again! Ever!

Enjoy!
Lauren of Baklava Bellydance
Mobile, AL


















1 comment:

mPaula said...

Stunning! As well as creative. I would love to see yo dance in it.
I tried belly dancing - 6 week course - and considering how uncoordinated I am I had lots of fun and lost weight (my goal).
kitblu

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...