Here is the before!
I fell for the fabric not for the shape of the dress. It is clearly a "mom dress" from many years ago. There was no back zipper in the dress so I had to insert one.
Let me just say invisible zippers yet again bring out the pirate in me b/c they make me go argh!!!
I used the pattern from McCall's 4440
I had to strategically place my pattern pieces in order to get the pattern to work. This fabric was very difficult to work with. I got quite frustrated with it on numerous occassions when I just had to walk away. Now on this pattern itself, here are my comments. There is only 1 bodice pattern for this and as you can see it can either be strapless or with straps. In my opinion, I did not like the actual bodice design. If I am going to make another strapless dress I will use another pattern b/c the top required 2 more darts in order to fit and look more like a strapless dress. The top part actually kind of hung over, peeling from my body on the top and I know i used the correct pattern size. The bottom part fit nicely, not tight nor big. But 2 darts on the top did the trick in addition to some fitting.
I changed the design a few times (like I wanted ruffles on the bottom but not enough fabric, and a short ruffle made it look like a nightie). But here is the end product! :)
The dress looks super cute with my scrunchy brown leather boots. I am just glad this project is over! Hate that beautiful fabric. it was quite the learning curve for me!
Until next post (which I still have more!)