Well hi welcome to my little blog. Just my little corner of craftiness, sewing, and refashioning. I am also a newly gluten free eater so you have a little bit of recipes mixed in here.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

butterfly dress refashion!

Ok this will be a short post. I don't have many pictures, except the before and after pictures because this dress was a challenge. You would have thought with all that fabric, it would have been a breeze but it was not.

Here is the before!
I fell for the fabric not for the shape of the dress. It is clearly a "mom dress" from many years ago. There was no back zipper in the dress so I had to insert one.

Let me just say invisible zippers yet again bring out the pirate in me b/c they make me go argh!!!

I used the pattern from McCall's 4440

I had to strategically place my pattern pieces in order to get the pattern to work. This fabric was very difficult to work with. I got quite frustrated with it on numerous occassions when I just had to walk away. Now on this pattern itself, here are my comments. There is only 1 bodice pattern for this and as you can see it can either be strapless or with straps. In my opinion, I did not like the actual bodice design. If I am going to make another strapless dress I will use another pattern b/c the top required 2 more darts in order to fit and look more like a strapless dress. The top part actually kind of hung over, peeling from my body on the top and I know i used the correct pattern size. The bottom part fit nicely, not tight nor big. But 2 darts on the top did the trick in addition to some fitting.

I changed the design a few times (like I wanted ruffles on the bottom but not enough fabric, and a short ruffle made it look like a nightie). But here is the end product! :)
The dress looks super cute with my scrunchy brown leather boots. I am just glad this project is over! Hate that beautiful fabric. it was quite the learning curve for me!

Until next post (which I still have more!)

xoxoxo,
Lauren

1 comment:

cwaycarter said...

So cute! I love ur blog! Found you on Refashion Co-op! -C.C.

ReFashion Statement

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...