Well hi welcome to my little blog. Just my little corner of craftiness, sewing, and refashioning. I am also a newly gluten free eater so you have a little bit of recipes mixed in here.

Friday, May 4, 2012

Outdoor TV Cover

Greetings y'all!

So many of you in the South know, football is a religion down here. One of our traditions is to sit outside our friend Charlie's house on a Saturday and watch football the entire day while eating and cooking some great food!
Charlie has a tv that he has now decided to keep outdoors but wanted something to keep it protected from some of the outside elements. In comes me!

I had this pretty horrible thick dirty rose fabric I acquired in the fabric stash that I never knew what to do with it... until now! Yay for using up my fabric stash! I have no idea what it is... some sort of thick synthetic b/c it felt like it could repel water.

The TV measurements height: 20 inches, length= 31 inches, depth= 5 inches AND it was also on a wall bracket about 2/3 the way up, or at least according to my boyfriend.

Since I did not want the thing to be fun and allow for seam allowance I added 2 inches to each measurement, I sew on a 1/4 seam allowance. New numbers: 22, 33, 7. So now I am ready to cut some things out!

Essentially I am cutting out 2 rectangle the size of the tv so 22 X 33. Then I need to cut out 2 rectangles for the sides, which is the depth and width: 7 X 22. Finally, 1 more rectangle for the top piece which is the length and depth: 7 X 33.

Now time to sew! I first started with sewing the top to the main sides. Pin the short rectangle to the longer one with right sides facing each other. Sew. :) Pin that piece at the smaller rectangle to the other rectangle and sew down.

Now to do the sides. This was really challenging for me b/c I have never done anything like this before- creating something more 3D b/c essentially we are making a box and now need to finish it.

I did not take the best pictures of this next part... But I will attempt to explain what I did. I started at sewing the top of the box to the top of the side. Then I sewed the tv front and back to that middle section. Repeat on the next side. Then hem the bottom.

Ta-da!!! We now have a box that is missing the bottom. I was impressed considering I really had no instructions or true plan. 
 I sealed all the edges of the fabric with seam sealant. 

Now it is time to allow for the bracket. My boyfriend said it was about 2/3 the way up. So I literally measured 2/3 of the way up in the middle of the tv back and cut. \

I hemmed the edges so it would not fray. And done! 

Here it is on the tv! It was the perfect fit.. not too loose and not too tight and even had room for the wall bracket! 




Just in case you were wondering here is what it looked like from the back. 

We just had a bad rainstorm this week and this was the test... and I passed. TV completely dry and safe from all the elements. The guys gave me a thumbs up! And I did this in 1 hour and got rid of some fabric! Wahoo! 

xoxoxoxo,
Lauren!


4 comments:

Four Marrs and One Venus said...

Lauren what a great little idea here! And you made it look super easy to make this! -- Think about it.. you should sell these bad boys!! :) Love it thank you so much for sharing!

Amy said...

Awesome; great job! So glad you decided to enter One Crafty Contest!

Carrie @ My Favorite Finds said...

I have to say, that's awesome. My husband really wants a tv outside, but he's not winning that battle right now. Thanks for sharing at Handmade Tuesdays!

Megan Earl said...

Having a cover for an outdoor TV is a good idea, it would help protect the screen from weather damage. Thanks for sharing this idea. My husband and I are thinking about sticking a TV in our backyard now that the weather is getting nicer. I think our kids would get a kick out of watching movies out there with their friends on warm summer evenings.
Megan | http://www.i-techcompany.com/digital-signage-outdoor-all-weather-proof-lcd-monitor-ip65-display-sunlight-readable.html

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...