I decided I was going to try and not necessarily add straps but try and create some sort of addition to the top. I used some leftover red fabric. I cut 2 rectangles and across the top I sewed a gathering stitch. I then attached the fabric strips to the dress. I did this by trying on the dress, placing the line on my shoulders and pinning where I needed to attach. I started with the fronts first then did the backs. I hand stitched the fabric to the dress. It really did not take that long.
Here is the end product! Definitely modestified the dress. I sort of have gathered sleeves. Something completely different!