Unfortunately I just found out online that I did not make the next round at Refashion Runway. I would like to take the time to personally thank all of my blog followers, friends, and family for supporting me through this journey. I will admit I am ready to not be on such a big timeline and now go in my own direction. It truly has been fun. I did say also that in my time off I was super productive and actually sewed an additional 14 garments unrelated to the challenges. It was nice to catch up and also finally heal this horrible cold of mine! I am doing really good and barely have a cough. It feels good to feel like a normal human being.
I did complete the next challenge, which was Halloween. I had actually planned this costume about 1.5 years ago when I found this dress for $0.99 one Sunday and snagged it up. I knew I wanted to make a costume out of this dress but what exactly I didn't know. I had thought it could go many ways.
I then found this lace top from Talbot's that I liked that I wanted to add to the costume. It was really nicely sewn however there was a lot of princess seams. I realized this after I purchased it. I also realized that it buttons down the back.
So what I made was actually 2 costumes: one that was Rennaissance Faire inspired and the other one was Marie Antoinette. Here is what I did.
First I cut away lace to cover my bodice between the 2 princess seams. I used green thread to baste the 2 fabrics together to make my life easier to sew.
I actually had leftover gold trim from an old bellydance costume I had that I had pulled it off of (which btw on a side note I only started to sew b/c I was a bellydancer. I started to sew costumes first then transitioned to fashion clothing, b/c you know wearing bellydance clothing to work is just not cohesive being a scientist). I also cut off the bottom of the dress which I don't have a picture of.
I began to attach it to the dress bodice. I made sure I curved it with the dress. Then cut off excess. Sew down with gold trim- this was the only time I sewed the trim with my machine everything else after this was done by hand.
Next I detached the skirt from the bodice and cut it in half. I only went to the side seams. Then gathered each detached piece and then reattached to the bodice.
One of the good things I noticed was at the bottom of the dress was the lining had a netting connected to it and decided to use this as my underskirt.
I connected to mid skit to the bodice.
Now I also needed sleeves so I cut the leftover fabric from the bottom of the dress and made sleeves. I will say in my initial feel I wanted them to bell more so I added in a gusset down the seam. I created an elastic casing at the top of the sleeves. Then at the elbow area of the sleeves. I added another elastic to gather. Now I have a poof above the bell of the sleeves.I also added trim to the bottom of the sleeves. Of course by hand- this is one of the reasons why this took so long.
However, I wanted options with my costume so I opted to sew some bows with the little bit of satin I had leftover. Simply cut a rectangle. Sew to lining. Turn right-side-out. Close seam. Sew gathering stick down center. With a quick few tacks, the bows were attached to a bodice. Added a fluffy petticoat underneath. Attached to add some white out shadow. Gray hairspray and a lot of teasing my hair. Pearls. And now I have something else I can go as to a Halloween Party. Marie Antoinette.