Well hi welcome to my little blog. Just my little corner of craftiness, sewing, and refashioning. I am also a newly gluten free eater so you have a little bit of recipes mixed in here.

Monday, June 30, 2014

4XL men's polo refashion to dress, #47

OMG how big is this polo shirt?? I am wearing shorts under this shirt!!! For real!
Ok I just have to pop the collar, I can't help myself...
I'd call this an epic men's polo refashion. Now what should I do with it? This iron craft challenge, I am back! The theme is stars and stripes. I thought this would be great for stripes! And it is semi-patriotic.

Since it was so big and huge, my goal was to turn it into a dress. Now to make it happen.... And I had a hole too... :(

First we need to deconstruct this shirt. I cut right below the arm holes- this will become a skirt. I removed the collar too. Off cam the sleeves, which I opened up and removed the arm binding.

Dang still a lot of stripes. I attempted the bodice next. I really liked how the sleeve curved and thought it would make a cute bodice, I mean 1 sleeve was an easy half of the top. So I evened it out. I attached to the back, which was just another piece of material with a straight across. I serged the top to avoid fraying, and then ironed under to create a casing. More on that later.

Time to fix up this skirt! I sewed out the hole. Serged to prevent fraying. I actually did a mirror "sewing out a hole" just so the skirt would look balanced. I did several pintuck both on front and back. Attach to the bodice!

Time to start finishing up. I added elastic to the top of the dress. I also added elastic to the back part of the skirt to get a better fit.
Now we are not done yet! With the elastic in the top of the dress, you lost the curve that I really liked. I cut off the widest blue stripe and made a tube. I used my tube turner I just purchased and OMG my life is changed forever- quickest way ever to turn a tubing right side out!!! Yay! Then I sewed my new tube to the top of the bodice to give a slight point back to the curve.
I just wore my dress out this weekend to a festival and it was nice for the heat. Here is my finished dress.

It was super comfy! Here is the recap! I plan on turning the rest of the fabric into bibs for boys. There is that much left of this polo! Crazy!

Cheers,
Lauren (almost half way done!!!)

2 comments:

kat said...

wow, that thing was giant! Great reuse.

Kathy W. - One Brown Mom said...

Love, Love, LOVE it! I'm totally stealing this idea!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...