First, I found this homesewers dress at Goodwill. I knew someone made this due to the fact there were no tags, and the way it was finished on the inside (i.e. no serging). The only word I could come up with was.... BAD school teacher dress. B/c I promise you that one of my teachers in school had this exact same dress. But I love the colors! Big long maxi skirt? Overall bib-like top? Buttons? Huge pockets? I mean what is not to love? ;)
Trying to figure out what I wanted to do with it, I took my seam ripper and went to town. And wow I had to rip out a lot of seams. I spent all of Sunday night doing that. Just ripping seams. Wow that skirt was a lot of fabric!! You don't realize how much is there until you ungather it.
Luckily the front and back of the bib was double sided with the same fabric. I then ripped out the seams for this so I would have enough fabric. I also removed the buttons and cut off the button holes.
I used both backs to create the main bodice. I used the long arm holes to create the one shoulder line. The old neckline is actually the arm holes. I drapped this on my dressform to see if it will work. Yes it will.
I used the front part of the old bib to fill in the gaps in the bodice and finish it. And yes I even attempted to match and line up the plaid (especially for the front of the dress). I also added 1 bust dart. It just seemed that it needed it.
I removed the pockets which were seamed into the side seam. They actually were tacked down so tightly to the old dress they left holes in the skirt.
I wanted to make sure my idea was going to have enough fabric. I cut the excess of the maxi skirt off and will save them.
Now time to connect all 3 pieces. First I cut the bodice so it was even. I just eyeballed it-no measuring here. I then realized I needed 1 bust dart so I added that. Lay out right side up.
Add the petals, right side down- overlapping them. I basted them to the bodice I really didn't want to worry about them moving with sewing.
Next I gathered the top part of the skirt. I adjusted the gather to adjust to the length of the bodice. Place right side down.
Pin the heck out of it. Sew together.
OMG it worked. I took out the basting. Now time to add a side zipper. Added a hook enclosure to the top of the zipper.
Hem the skirt and the overlays so they are even. Of course I serged it to keep it clean and not fray my fabric.
Now I went back and forth whether I wanted to make a plaid belt but it was just too much plaid. I used a sash I made in the past for another refashion b/c it was the perfect color. Here is my new dress!!
Now here comes the obligatory plea/begging.... I need votes!! Please if you like my project go and check out Renegade Seamstress and vote for my bad plaid school teacher refashion.
Hope you enjoy my refashion! :)